- It's all yours right now -- enjoy it! Once your wiki takes off, lots of people will read what you write. Right now, nobody's looking over your shoulder yet, so feel free to try things out and make mistakes.
- Make lots of short pages! The hardest thing about writing is looking at a blank page and not knowing where to start. It's a lot easier once you write down your first couple sentences. So take a deep breath, and jump in -- make ten really short pages, one right after another. Once you've started, you can build the pages up slowly, adding a little bit at a time.
- Link your pages together! Links help you and your readers get from one page to another, so whenever you mention the subject of another page, use the "Add a Link" button to make a link to that page. You should also use the front page to link to all of the most important pages on your wiki. Describe what your wiki is about on the main page, and include links to help your readers find their way around.
- Add pictures! A well-chosen picture can make a bland wiki page come to life. When you're writing a page, use the "Add a Picture" button to upload a picture from your computer onto the page.
- When you're ready -- tell your friends! Once you've started a bunch of pages, linked them together and added some pictures, you'll be ready to start showing off your wiki to the world. You probably know people who are interested in the same thing that you are, so tell your friends to check out your new site. Those are your first readers and potential contributors, so give them lots of encouragement.
A good way to stay up-to-date with the latest news and events around Wikia is to visit our Staff blog. If at any time you get stuck, feel free to write to us through our contact form -- we're happy to help!
Have fun!-- Sannse
Request for help Edit
Hi MarvelRiddle. I approved your request, and I'm here to follow up with you. In your request you mentioned a custom logo and favicon. If you have any ideas about what you want either of them to look like, please tell me and I'll get started on that. Then we can move on to any other parts of the wiki that you might want help with. JoePlay (talk) 16:57, April 26, 2012 (UTC)
- Take a look at these two possible logos I made using the Palatino font.
- If you want a different shade of blue, show me an example of the shade you want, and I'll update whichever logo you choose. JoePlay (talk) 14:40, April 27, 2012 (UTC)
- You also wanted a favicon, so take a look at these two images. If you want to use one of them, just save it to your computer and upload it using Special:ThemeDesigner.
- If you want something different, let me know what you have in mind. JoePlay (talk) 15:55, April 30, 2012 (UTC)
- Before uploading the updated favicon, I wanted to show it to you first. When you shrink the quill that small and put it behind the C, it's hard to tell that it's a quill. For comparison, I also made a favicon using just the quill, where you can sort of recognize that it's a quill. JoePlay (talk) 16:06, May 3, 2012 (UTC)
RE: Background Edit
If you have any specific ideas, let me know. Better yet, if you find a large image (1000x800 or larger) that you would like to use, please link me to it. I'm leaving work early today, so I'll get started on the background when I return to work on Monday. JoePlay (talk) 15:24, May 4, 2012 (UTC)
- Sorry I didn't get back to you yesterday (Monday). I spent all day getting caught up from Friday. Anyway, as you can see, I just changed the background to the same one corneliafunkefans.com uses (although that site seems to be down now for some reason). It's a combiniation of a repeating semi-transparent pattern and a color. If you want to try out different colors, just go to Special:ThemeDesigner. On the Customize tab, click the color box under "Background" and either choose a color from the pop-up or enter any color into the space provided.
- Of course, if you find a large image that you want to be used, you can still link me to it. JoePlay (talk) 20:24, May 8, 2012 (UTC)
I assume you're referring to MediaWiki:Wiki-navigation, which I see you have already edited. I will point out that you can enable expanded wiki navigation by going to Special:WikiFeatures. Under Labs find Expanded Wiki Navigation and click the circle to the right next to "Disabled" to enable it. This will give you more options on the navigation menu. If you decide to enable it, you'll still use MediaWiki:Wiki-navigation to control what appears. You can find more information at the help wiki. JoePlay (talk) 17:36, May 9, 2012 (UTC)